Saturday, March 24, 2012

How does a UK GCSE equate to a US high school diploma


How does a UK GCSE equate to a US high school diploma?
In the UK, students leave high school at at 16, whereas obviously in the US the leaving age is 18. I am from the UK (I'm 18) and wanting to apply to a US university following living here for a year already. However, I have not done either AS or A2 when I lived in the UK. Though I imagine University of Phoenix or the like will likely admit me anyway, I just wanted to get an idea of whether a US high school student is "more educated" when they leave than a UK student would be at 16, or whether they're basically the same things somehow? Thanks!
Other - Education - 1 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
Are you joking? The U.S. public educational system is a broken pathetic joke. A true disservice to Americans. As long as you've completed primary school you're golden. To answer your question, US high school students , in my opinion, are LESS educated than an equivalent UK student. One thing you will need to do is take the S.A.T. (Scholastic Aptitude Test) that is required in the states. You can sign up to take it through the college board web site. The US DOES have high quality universities , so you're making a good decision going abroad to further your higher education. Good Luck and if you have a child while in the states, send him/her to private school.... sad but necessary.
Read more discuission :