Monday, March 1, 2010

Do I need a visa to USA if I'm on a school trip from UK


Do I need a visa to USA if I'm on a school trip from UK?
I live in the UK but my nationality is Thai. When I went on a school trip to France I didn't need a visa so would I need a visa for my school trip to New York?
Immigration - 5 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
No. You are required to have a passport and a round-trip ticket.
2 :
The list of travellers for school trips as a visa waiver is only applied for by certain countries of the European Union. http://www.britishcouncil.org/cms/home-information-centre-list-of-travellers-scheme.htm .. For a school trip to the United States you will need to get a visa in advance from the U.S. Embassy in London prior to travel. Passport holders of Thailand do not participate in the U.S: Visa Waiver Program. http://london.usembassy.gov/cons_new/visa/niv/index.html .. Edit: @ George L. The visa requirement for a citizen of Thailand has nothing to do with the EU membership of the countries. The U.K. does not participate in the Schengen agreement, hence U.K. residence permits are not recognized in the Central European Schengen territory (with the exception of school trips). http://dc.the-netherlands.org/Services/Consular_services/Visa/US_citizens/Traveling_to_the_Netherlands/Tourist_and_Business_Visa_for_the_Netherlands_Schengen/See_also/Map_of_Schengen_countries ..
3 :
the UK and France are both part of the EU, which is why you didn't need a visa for France. The US isn't part of the EU and since you aren't a Brit, but a Thai citizen, yes, you will need a visa, so apply for one as soon as possible at the US embassy.
4 :
yes
5 :
Visa requirement for country is based on the citizenship of your passport. Since you are Thai citizen, you must obtain B1/B2 Visitors Visa applied and approved at US Embassy.
Read more discussion :