Thursday, December 8, 2011

Can you help with everything I'd need to know when switching from an American school system to the UK school


Can you help with everything I'd need to know when switching from an American school system to the UK school?
Here's the deal I hate my life as is and I'm simply tired of waiting around for something to happen to me. Since my family simply doesn't want to move, I thought of boarding school which lead me to boarding school in England. On my bucket list I have live in England for a year, and that would be crossed off it I went to school there, plus I'd get away from this place I hate while my family could stay here. Obviously I'd miss my family a lot but I've lost all my friends {because I've moved seven times before} and the ones I've made here sadly aren't much different so I wouldn't miss them much. For some reason listening to British accents calms me down and I love the rain, as far as I know it rains a ton in England. My parents also worry about how shy I am, if they aren't there I'd have to take charge for myself but I'd also have to live under the schools watch and I'm not sure how strict that is, plus I've never had to share a room with anyone before. And that's the basics. I've been told that because I'm an 11th grader in America I'd be a fifth form/ lower sixth/ year 12 in England so how many total years of school would I have left? In America I'd finish this grade go to 12th grade and then hit about 4 years of college, so five years in total. Legally how could/ would I stay there? Neither of my parents would come with me and I know no one in England, I have family in Germany and that's the closest even as friends. Would I have to fill out legal papers for that, if so what? Could I even stay there for a full school year, because somewhere I read I could only stay for six months? How old to you have to be to drive there? And how old to work? Chances are I'd have to work. Financially why is it so expensive to go to school in England, for me in America it's free 'til I hit college, then again I go to public school. Would my family be able to get assistance with paying for school, like a scholarship? Do a lot of British people even go to British boarding schools or is it all people from separate countries? Any tips or concerns you have for a teenage girl leaving home to go to school in a place literally foreign to her? Do you think I should go? Any boarding school suggestions? Thank you so much, almost anything will be helpful
Other - Education - 1 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
You would go into year 12/lower sixth which is English 'college' you would spend 2 years at the school finishing in year 13. After that people go to university. You would be able to stay at a boarding school as an international student without your parents, but you would have to contact the school and find out if it is possible to attend without a parental meeting or similar. Legal papers etc is usually a contract your parents would need to sign and appropriate visa/student papers which the school would help with. You start learning to drive at 17 in England and you can work at that age too. You think schools in England are expensive because boarding schools are usually private fee-paying schools, whereas the free high school you spoke of is a state school in England and is also free to attend. Your family would not get financial assistance as you are not a British citizen and so do not pay taxes to England which means you are not eligible for any kind of benefit. A scholarship is possible if you ask the particular school but it is competitive and normally you would need to apply well in advance. British people do go to boarding schools but usually not many, alot of people are from other countries. If the school has boarding facilities but is also a day school then chances are there will be a large number of british people also. I would say that many boarding schools nowadays are not so strict and have a very 'family' feel to it to make you feel more at home. I think you should go if your parents agree and that you are definitely sure about your decision. After all, it is a long way and you may become homesick. Once you have made friends though i'm sure you will enjoy your time there. hoped this helped and good luck!
Read more discussion :